Juvenile Court

Before a Child in Need of Assistance (CINA) proceeding begins, the Department of Human Services (DHS) will have performed an assessment based on a referral from Child Protective Services. If DHS has concerns about the health, welfare or safety of the children in your home, the intake worker may refer your situation to the County Attorney.  At that time, the County Attorney will file a Petition with the Court to begin the Child in Need of Assistance proceeding and a hearing will be set. Each parent and the children involved have a right to have an attorney throughout the CINA proceeding. In some cases, the Court may remove the children from your home and place them with a relative or other appropriate person. It is important to know your rights, know DHS and Court expectations of you, and that you ask questions.


If you are involved in a CINA proceeding, Branstad Law can assist you with the process, answer your questions and help you get to the best place you can be.


Additional Information: