Resources for Criminal Charges in Des Moines
Restoring Your Rights
In the state of Iowa, anyone convicted of an “infamous” crime is subject to the loss of voting rights and the ability to hold public office. Voting rights may be restored by application to the Governor’s office after completion of sentence. Click here to access the Restoration of Citizenship Rights Web Page or contact Branstad Law if further assistance is needed.
Criminal Records and Employment
Information coming soon…
Expunging a Record
If your criminal record affects work-related background checks, you have a few options. You are welcome to call Branstad Law for assistance in requesting expungement. Not Guilty or Dismissed charges.
Not Guily or Dismissed Charges
If prior dismissed charges are following you around, you can request expungement of those charges if certain conditions are met:
- The charges were dismissed or the defendant was acquitted of the charge.
- All court costs, fees and ordered financial obligations are paid.
- At least one hundred eighty days have passed since entry of the judgment of acquittal or of the order dismissing the case (as long as the dismissal was not due to a finding of insanity and the defendant was not found incompetent).
If expunged, the charge becomes a confidential record exempt from public access.
Drivers License Information
Polk County offers a License Reinstatement Program (LRP) allows a driver to regain license privileges that have been suspended for non-payment of fines. The starting point for LRP is completion of an LRP financial affidavit. To see the status of your license, click here A driver who is not eligible for full privileges may apply for a Temporary Restricted License (TRL) to deal with driving for daily obligations like work or school. If you would like assistance in pursuing any of these options, you may contact Branstad Law to determine if we can help.
Branstad Law represents clients in Post Conviction Relief Actions Post-Conviction Relief (PCR) is available after final judgment and after appeal options are exhausted. Post-Conviction Relief may offer forms of relief including: release, new trial, or modification of sentence. Iowa Code Chapter 822 provides the procedure for Postconviction Relief. Situations in which PCR is applicable:
- The defense attorney did not perform essential functions (Ineffective Assistance of Counsel).
- The conviction or sentence is unconstitutional or otherwise illegal.
- The client discovers new evidence of material facts.
- A new statute or case affects the trial, sentence or evidence.
The Children in the Middle Course is offered at the following locations:
- Mercy Franklin Center 1750 48th Street, Suite 2 Des Moines, IA 50310 515-643-2584
- Boone County CARES, Inc PO Box 514 Boone, IA 50036 515-443-4893 email@example.com
- Southwest Community College 1501 W. Townline Road Creston, IA 50801 641-782-1449 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Journey Counseling and Consultation 118 Hayward, Suite #6 Ames, IA 50014 515-292-9697
- Center for Interpersonal Effectiveness 2525 N Ankeny Blvd., Suite #113 Ankeny, IA 50023 515-289-9136 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * Offers programs at Altoona, Kirkendall, Johnston, and Newton Public Libraries
- Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) 2006 South Ankeny Blvd. Ankeny, IA 50023 515-964-6685 email@example.com Counseling
- Center for Central Iowa Iowa Health System 6000 University Ave, Suite 200 West Des Moines, IA 50266 515-241-2300
- Lutheran Hospital 700 E. University Ave. Des Moines, IA 50316 515-241-2300
- Parenting Way, Inc. 1211 Vine St., Suite 2140 West Des Moines, IA 50265 515-225-9490
Before a Child in Need of Assistance (CINA) proceeding begins, the Department of Human Services (DHS) will have performed an assessment based on a referral from Child Protective Services. If DHS has concerns about the health, welfare or safety of the children in your home, the intake worker may refer your situation to the County Attorney. At that time, the County Attorney will file a Petition with the Court to begin the Child in Need of Assistance proceeding and a hearing will be set. Each parent and the children involved have a right to have an attorney throughout the CINA proceeding. In some cases, the Court may remove the children from your home and place them with a relative or other appropriate person. It is important to know your rights, know DHS and Court expectations of you, and that you ask questions. If you are involved in a CINA proceeding, Branstad & Olson Law can assist you with the process, answer your questions and help you get to the best place you can be.
Mail a check to: Clerk of Court (Place the case name and case number in the memo of the check). Clerk of Court Polk Justice Center 222 5th Avenue Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Credit cards: Call the Clerk of Court and Pay by phone Polk County Clerk 515-286-3917
Making a payment plan: Polk County Attorney’s Office: Polk County Justice Center 222 5th Avenue Des Moines, Iowa 50309 You MUST bring the following with you:
- $100.00 MONEY ORDER payable to: “Clerk of Court” AND
- Proof of income (You must have one of the following) A. Recent Paycheck Stubs (Two is preferred) B. Government assistance benefits (bring award letter) C. Unemployment income (statement of unemployment benefits receiving) D. Self employment income (proof of recent income) E. If you have no income you need to get a “white sheet” from Iowa Work Force
- Counseling Options Lifeworks 600 42nd Street Des Moines, IA 50312 515-255-8399
- Center for Counseling / Catholic Charities 601 Grand Ave Des Moines, IA 50309 515-393-2014
- Children and Families of Iowa 1111 University Ave Des Moines, IA 50314 515-288-1981
- Compass Clinical Associates 2500 82nd Place Urbandale, IA 50322 515-270-1344
- Eyerly Ball 945 19th Street Des Moines, IA 50314
- Lifeline Resources 3115 Douglas Ave Des Moines, IA 50310 515-235-4720
- Mid-Iowa Family Therapy Clinic 6900 University Ave, Suite 115 Windsor Heights, IA 50324 515-254-1556
- Mosaic FamilyCounseling Center 5005 Douglas Ave Des Moines, IA 50310 515-724-8920
- New Beginnings Counseling 3811 38th Street Des Moines, IA 50310 515-401-6886
- Orchard Place Child Guidance Center 808 5th Ave Des Moines, IA 50309 515-244-2267
- Sampson Family Therapy Services 309 Court Ave, Suite 240 Des Moines, IA 50309 515-875-4816
- Counseling for Growth & Change 6959 University Avenue Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324 515-243-1020 515-515-5173
- Seely Psychotherapy Services 974 73rd Street, Suite 9 Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324 515-267-9054
- Healing Pathways Counseling, LLC 974 73rd Street, Suite 9 Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324he 515-309-2113 515-512-5902
- The Healing Space Counseling Center 3810 Douglas Avenue Des Moines, Iowa 515-423-4332
Classes offered through Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) Drinking Drivers (DUI) Driver Improvement Children in the Middle Offender Classes Domestic Assault / Abuse Class Information Batterers Education Program (BEP) classes are mandatory for certain crimes. After sentencing offenders are given the necessary information to sign up for BEP classes. Links with general information are included below. BEP Intake BEP Completion
Substance Abuse Evaluations
- Employee and Family Resources 505 Fifth Avenue, Suite 600 Des Moines, Iowa 515-243-4200
- Assessment Services, Inc. 2159 Grand Ave West Des Moines, Iowa 515-327-7036
- Center for Interpersonal Effectiveness 2525 N. Ankeny Blvd, Suite 113 Ankeny, Iowa 515-289-9136
- Alternative Interventions 3116 Ingersoll Avenue, Suite 4 Des Moines, Iowa 515-778-7989
- Lloyd’s Counseling, Inc. 3832 1/2 Douglas Avenue Des Moines, Iowa 515-277-2205
- Urban Dreams 1410 6th Avenue Des Moines, Iowa 515-288-4742
- Center for Behavioral Health, Inc. 1200 University Avenue, Suite 106 Des Moines, Iowa 515-244-9500
- ALPP Institute 5875 Fleur Drive Des Moines, Iowa 515-256-4357
- Avery Comprehensive Services 309 Court Avenue, Suite 218 Des Moines, Iowa 515-875-4880
- Living Recovery, LLC 8527 University Blvd., Suite 9 Clive, Iowa 515-402-5422
- New Sight Inc. 2340 Euclid Ave. Des Moines, Iowa 515-263-0019
- Community Access & Life Management 333 SW 9th, Suite J Des Moines, Iowa 515-77-3075
- Self-Awareness LLC 2301 Forest Ave. Des Moines, Iowa 515-277-0320
- Woodward Community Based Services 611 5th Avenue Des Moines, Iowa 515-274-9607
- Iowa Code Online
- Iowa Courts Online
- Iowa Bar Association
- Polk County Jail
- Fifth Judicial District Department of Corrections
- Services offered though the Fifth Judicial District
Legal Assistance Programs
- Iowa Legal Aide Central Iowa Regional Office 1111 9th Street, Suite 380 Des Moines, IA 50314 515-243-1193 or 800-532-1503
- Iowa Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Project 1111 9th Street, Suite 230 Des Moines, IA 50309
- Volunteer Lawyers Project – Polk County Bar 625 East Court Avenue Des Moines, IA 50314
- Drake Legal Clinic 2400 University Avenue Des Moines, IA 50311 515-271-3851